I’m a total and complete night owl so my natural tendency is to stay up late because my brain is most awake then.
However, I work full-time so I don’t have the luxury of totally living in tune with my body clock.
I used to have a rule about my bedtime and, to be honest, it still exists. I’m just not following it at all.
I like to be sleeping by 12 so I need to be in bed by 11 since I read for an hour every night – bliss!
And here’s my rule – computer off by 10:30.
(I’m typing this at 11:02 pm!)
I found I’d be getting to bed at least 30 minutes later when I didn’t enforce my computer rule because I forgot about tidying the desk, doing my bedtime routine, etc.
What about you? Are you getting enough sleep?
Most adults don’t get enough sleep and we’re all functioning (or not) at below-par levels of productivity and … life enjoyment.
Sleep helps our bodies to work better, helps us manage stress, helps us with weight loss if we’re trying to lose weight and of course, helps us rest and recharge from day to day.
I need 7 hours of good sleep a night. On the weekends I get an extra hour and sometimes even an afternoon nap with or without my five-year-old twins. This weekend I napped for an hour on Sunday afternoon and they entertained themselves. Bliss!
Do you know how much sleep you need?
Gretchen Rubin wrote a post some time ago asking about bedtimes.
She said something interesting in that once you set a bedtime (we now know mine is 11 or 12, depending how you look at it), if you ignore that bedtime, you’re then consciously choosing to do what you were doing instead of going to bed.
I love it!
Here’s a coaching challenge for you:
– What is your standard wake-up time?
– Work back at least 7 hours. That is the time you have to be asleep by.
– How long do you need before falling asleep? Subtract the amount of hours.
– Also subtract time for your bedtime routine – face, teeth, reading, etc.
– For the next week, set an alarm or reminder in your phone or computer that says “go to bed”.
– Keep track of your productivity the following day as you start getting enough sleep.
Let me know how that works for you!